J.A. CLIFT THE COMPANY
The intrinsic beauty of stone and the honesty of the craft of the stonemason can be traced through four generations of the Clift family. Founded in 1906 by James Andrew Clift of Cornish descent, the name J A Clift (Pty) Ltd has become synonymous with quality in the granite industry.
Very soon after James Andrew Clift started out on his own as "J.A. Clift Granite Works and Monumental Masons", he was awarded the contract to cut and erect the granite work for the historic Rhodes Memorial in Cape Town. With the unprecedented growth of the company, it became necessary to acquire a new granite source. His search led him to the natural splendor of the Paarl valley, where the Clift family hired a quarry site on the De Hoop farm. J.A. Clift Granite Works grew in stature and it was decided in 1939 to form a privately held company - leading to the formation of J.A. Clift (Pty) Ltd, Granite & Marble Contractors and Monumental Masons. Many historical contracts followed, including the Australian Mutual Building, the Old Mutual, the General Post Office, the parliament and the Franschhoek Huguenot memorial.
Then, when De Hoop farm came on the market in 1959, a new chapter in the Clift history unfolded: the family purchased the farm and diversified operations to include grape and olive farming. Farming operations expanded, two additional farms were purchased - Schoongezicht in 1974 and Goedemoed in 1993. Granite and soil combined to form a solid foundation for the future of JA Clift Pty Ltd.
>> HOME |
JA CLIFT HISTORY |
OUR YARD |
PAARL'S GRANITE |
GRANITE MYTHS |
THE FARMS |
MASON'S WINERY |
DE HOOP OLIVE OIL |
TOMBSTONES AND GRAVESTONE DESIGNS |
MARBLE AND GRANITE KITCHEN TOPS, WORKSURFACES AND COUNTERTOPS |